Tuesday, October 25, 2011

Tutu Tutorial

I took ballet growing up.
I thought the word "derrière" meant underwear
Every time the dance teacher said "tuck in your derrière",
I thought she meant my underwear was sticking out, 
so I'd shove it back under my leotard

Out of frustration, I stopped wearing underwear under my leotard all together
That week, when the dance teacher said "Tuck in your derrière!" I yelled 
"I'm not wearing any!"
It wasn't for years that I found out it really meant butt...

Hopefully my daughter has more success with dance than I did. 
Time: 20 minutes
Difficulty: Easy
Cost: $3-5 each (You can make 2 out of the materials)

Materials:
 1 - 2 rolls of Tulle (Mine are 25 yard rolls from Joanne's Wedding section)
3/4 inch Elastic
Scissors
Stuff to sew the band

Directions
Step 1: The band
Measure you waist, and then cut the elastic 2-4 inches smaller than your waist (It will stretch out with the toole!). I cut it about 12 inches for a newborn. Overlap the edges, and sew. 
Step 2: Tulle
Cut your tulle into 16 inch long strips. For each "knot", you will need 3 strips (I used 2 pink and 1 white). Lay all 3 strips on top of one another, and fold in half. With the elastic around something (I used a vase to hold it...), slip your tulle under forming a loop at the top. Slip the bottom of the tulle through the loop. Pull to tighten. Continue this until your skirt is "full" (For my newborn skirt, it took 18 knots)
And that's it! If you'd like to add a bow, or embellishments, 
go right on ahead.
Me? I'm gonna leave mine simple.

6 comments:

Unknown said...

So I thought... 12" that seems very small for a waist... oh, right, these are for children. I might make one for me though, you know for when I'm feeling fancy AND dancy.

Anonymous said...

OMG, PLEASE share a picture of Zoey wearing this when she arrives. I may not be able to handle the cuteness!

Neoma said...

Your story cracked me up. Jason is reading over my shoulder and he laughed, too. Your daughter is going to have so much fun at your house.

Carrie said...

I've been looking at this tutorial for a long time now, and finally made one for my niece and her dolls! You can check out my post on it if you would like. Thanks for having such great craft ideas that even beginners like me can create!!
<3 Carrie
http://carries-closet.blogspot.com/2011/11/tutu-cute.html

Anonymous said...

Hеllo supеrb blog! Doeѕ runnіng a blog such as thiѕ require a mаssive amount work?
I've virtually no knowledge of computer programming however I had been hoping to start my own blog soon. Anyway, if you have any ideas or techniques for new blog owners please share. I understand this is off topic however I simply had to ask. Thanks!

Feel free to visit my weblog; garden center

Paula said...

Appreciate this blog ppost