Wednesday, October 5, 2011

Dutch Baby Pancakes Recipe

I am a terrible cookI mean TERRIBLE.
Just ask my husband... he eats cereal for dinner 3-4 times a week.  

But this recipe is SO delicious SO easy and SO cheap...
even the cooking challenged can make it work.
This is a dinner staple in our house (and cereal apparently...)

Dutch Baby Pancakes
Recipe from Grace Struiksma


Ingredients
1/3 cup butter
4 eggs
1 cup flour
1 cup milk
1 tsp vanilla
dash of nutmeg

Directions
Cut butter into smaller pieces in a 9x13 pan. 
Place in 400 degree oven until the butter is melted and sizzling. 
Combine remaining ingredients in a blender or food processor and churn until well mixed. 
Pour into sizzling butter and replace in oven. 
Bake 20-25 minutes. 
The Dutch Baby will be browned on the bottom and sides (it looks like it'll overflow!), 
and the "puff" will sink after it's taken out of the oven. 
Cut into squares, spread your favorite jam on top and enjoy!

2 comments:

Em said...

I do a Dutch Baby lab for my 6th grade Home Ec students! Here's our version:

2 Tbsp butter
1/2 c milk
1/2 c flour
2 eggs

Preheat oven to 450. Place butter in a glass pie dish and put in oven to melt. Mix milk, flour, and eggs in a bowl. Pour into pie dish once oven is preheated. Bake for 12 minutes.

This recipe is a bit smaller- my husband and I can each scarf one down. I think I'll try your version this Sunday!

Alyssa said...

My mom makes a version of this without the vanilla and nutmeg, but with cheese and some other savory spices, like oregano or basil. Then she puts roasted veggies with melted cheese on top. (We call it "Sundown Pancakes" because it feels more dinner-ish.)